Teeth whitening makes everybody feel more attractive and confident with a gleaming, bright smile. There are many reasons why you may have discolored teeth. For instance, what you drink and eat can stain and discolor your teeth with time. Eventually, you’ll realize that your teeth look dull and darker, and this can lead to a less vibrant smile.
At Breeze Dental, we want to bring back that spring in your step by giving you pearly, white teeth. Our Yaletown dentist will whiten your teeth to remove discoloration and stains, leaving you with a brighter and confident smile.
Types of Stains
There two main types of stains, intrinsic found below the enamel, and extrinsic, located above the enamel.
Intrinsic stains can be caused by aging. They can also be a result of external factors such as using mouthwashes containing cetylpyridinium chloride, chlorhexidine, or excessive fluoride in the water. Because intrinsic stains are found below the enamel, topical bleaching might not be effective.
Extrinsic stains are a result of lifestyle choices such as consuming dark-colored beverages and foods, smoking, irregular visits to the dentist, and inadequate brushing. By having your teeth professionally cleaned, you can get rid of extrinsic stains to a certain extent.
Professional Teeth Whitening
Professional teeth whitening by a qualified and experienced dentist provides satisfactory results in a considerably short period. This method is preferred by many who don’t want the fuss of a professional at-home teeth whitening kit, or those who aren’t satisfied with over-the-counter products.
Whitening at the dentist isn't a complicated procedure. However, it requires skill and experience to avoid injury to the gum area. What's more, it needs specialized equipment. There are various steps for in-office teeth whitening:
- The dentist will begin by recording your shade of teeth prior to the procedure before polishing them with a pumice to get rid of plaque.
- A gauze is used to keep teeth dry while retractors might be used to prevent your tongue, cheeks, and lips from coming into contact with the whitening solution. Also, a barrier is put on your gum line to protect it from the solution.
- Then, your teeth are coated on the front surface with the whitening solution and left for about half an hour to one hour. Depending on the type of brand used, the solution may need to be reapplied.
- Once the time has lapsed, your teeth are rinsed. You may be given a fluoride application to help with tooth sensitivity, a common side effect of whitening.
- Your dentist will schedule additional visits until the optimal shade is achieved.
After you’re done with the entire procedure, your dentist will advise you on drinks and foods to avoid for about 24 hours. These include tea, coffee, red wine, and tomato sauce.
Get the White, Bright Smile You Deserve
Today, it's possible to truly give you the bright, white smile you want at our Yaletown dentist office. We believe that you deserve to feel and confident and great about how you look. To learn more about the dramatic results you can expect from us, give us a call today on (604) 305 -0326.Yaletown Dentist