When you visit Scenic Acres Dental Centre for your NW Dental Hygiene Therapy Care, our team will clean your teeth above the gum line using a technique called scaling; and below the gum-line, with a method known as root planing. We will use both traditional hand scalers and our ultrasonic scaling tools to remove calculus and plaque from your teeth.
The Scenic Acres Dental Hygiene Team will also complete the following:
- A comprehensive assessment of your gum tissue
- Checking for gum recession
- Checking for the presence of gingivitis and possibly periodontitis (gum disease)
- Polish your teeth to remove surface stains
- Fluoride treatment to help strengthen the enamel surface of the teeth in areas that may be weak
- An examination to check the head, neck and jaw areas for abnormalities
- Oral cancer screening to assess the gum tissues, tongue, and lips for signs of oral cancer
- Digital x-rays (when needed)
Your Hygiene Therapy will also include an examination by your dentist to evaluate the current health of your teeth, gums, and the surrounding tissue to determine the existing conditions present in your mouth. We will then plan the appropriate dental treatments necessary to correct any of these concerns.
How Often Do I Require Hygiene Therapy?
The frequency of your Hygiene Therapy will depend on several factors. Since your teeth are susceptible to the accumulation of plaque and calculus (tartar), patients with crowded teeth or gum disease will require more frequent visits. Please be aware that due to the increased cleaning needs this may not match the frequency of other members of your family.
This is why we evaluate each patient on an individual basis in order to determine the dental hygiene schedule that will meet their specific needs the best. The majority of the patients who visit Scenic Acres Dental Centre for their dental hygiene appointments come every six months, but some people may benefit from coming in every 3-4 months, and others may only require their dental hygiene visits every 9 to 12 months.