Scenic Acres Dental offers Bruxism/Grinding Splints for those patients that hear popping or grating sounds when they open their mouths. Are you suffering from pain when trying to open your mouth or move it from side to side? If so, you may have Temporomandibular Joint Pain or Temporomandibular Dysfunction.
Symptoms of Tooth Grinding and TMJ Disorder
Common symptoms of tooth grinding and TMJ disorder may include:
- Neck and/or shoulder pain
- Ear symptoms, including hearing loss, ringing, or pain
- Clenching/grinding your teeth during sleep
- A chronic feeling of tiredness
- Ongoing headaches at your temples or above your eyes
The symptoms described above may be symptoms of TMJ, but they may also be due to another condition. That’s why it’s so important to get a proper diagnosis so you can treat the problem accordingly. The Doctors at Scenic Acres Dental Centre will be happy to perform a comprehensive examination and recommend a treatment plan based on your specific symptoms and concerns. Should we determine the need to get other treatment partners involved—like chiropractors, cranio/mandibular specialists, physiotherapists or massage therapists—we can recommend potential treatment partners and can work together to relieve your symptoms.
Migraine Pain Prevention
Teeth grinding and TMJ disorders are often associated with Migraine headaches. If you suffer from tension or migraine headaches, Scenic Acres Dental Centre may have a way to help reduce the frequency and intensity of your headaches. Stabilization splints are an appropriate option for headache sufferers—as well as those who may be experiencing tooth wear, jaw muscle pain, or those who simply want to protect their mouth’s surfaces during a time of healing –a properly-fitted stabilization splint is smaller and more comfortable than a traditional splint. Stabilization splints can prevent and/or reduce the intensity of jaw clenching while you sleep, which can minimize headaches and create a variety of other benefits:
- Reduces teeth grinding and abnormal muscle contractions by nearly 70%
- Doesn’t trigger your gag reflex, meaning you’re more likely to wear it and benefit from it!
- Costs less and has fewer side effects than prescription drugs
- Allows you to avoid the need for tooth repair due to jaw clenching and teeth grinding in your sleep
Are stabilization splints the answer to your headache nightmares? Talk to the Scenic Acres Dental Centre Team to see if stabilization splints can help you live a happier, more pain-free life.
Learn More about Bruxism/Grinding Splints
To learn more about your Bruxism/Grinding Splint options, we invite you to contact our office for a consultation appointment.